Thursday, April 12, 2018

Dad's 77th Birthday Party













On April 9, 2018, I threw my dad a birthday party. He turned 77 - on April 10.

My dad does not like the Pittsburgh Penguins...he is a Toronto Maple Leafs Fan. My dad doesn't have a favourite player either...but I did when I followed hockey.

Growing up...my dad & older brother liked the Toronto Maple Leafs, my younger brother liked the New Jersey Devils and I liked the Pittsburgh Penguins & Montreal Canadians.

My Favourite Hockey Player was Paul Coffey - Number 77.

The Pittsburgh Penguins won their first Stanley Cup in 1991 against the Minnesota North Stars. In the following hockey season, my dad took my brother, Jimmy, and I to see the Pittsburgh Penguins play the Minnesota North Stars in Minnesota.

I made a sign that states something a long the lines that "Penguins are #1"...but since we were in Minnesota...my dad wouldn't let me bring it in.

Over the years...my dad's memory isn't as sharp as it used to be...because he teases me that my sign said something like "I love you Paul Coffey" or "Paul Coffey Will You Marry Me"...it did not...but it's a fun argument that my dad & I still have to this day.

So, I had some fun of my own and planned a whole Pittsburgh Penguin/Paul Coffey themed birthday party for my dad.

Besides all the above photos of what I made for the party decorations...we decked out the house in yellow & black streamers and balloons as well.

My dad enjoys golfing...so TJ wanted to make a golf green for us to play on at his party. He refers to his Papa as the "Master Golfer".

The 8 x 10 Framed Photo of Paul Coffey is a copy that I found on the world wide web of the actual photo that I used to have up in my bedroom.

When my brother Jimmy came to the party, he asked: "You still have your framed photo of Paul Coffey!?"

I informed him of the internet.

FYI: The Oilers Paul Coffey hockey card in the photo...is his rookie card...I also have an autographed hockey card of his...they both stay in their protective frame in my fire proof safe to this day.

2 comments: